Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had sex with a undetectable HIV+ man who states he is in

Customer Question

I had sex with a undetectable HIV+ man who states he is in fact on his meds last Friday. I started taking Truvada that night and every day since, but I was just told by him that the condom did break that night and he just revealed his status to me tonight. I have only had a protected experience like this in the past, and received information regarding that, but now I am worried. I have had several unforseen mishaps over the past couple of days with my cell phone being knocked in a pool, my vehicle breaking down, etc. From what I read online they said to go in witiin 3 days for a post antiviral pill. I guess I need someone to tell me what to expect/do next. Should I still go in now that I know his status for a test, Should I wait for a period of time now that I have missed the 3 day window, or what? What is your recommendation?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It would be best if you can get seen as soon as possible. It is true that the general recommendation is to be seen within the first 3 days after a sexual encounter with an HIV positive individual, as post-exposure prophylaxis should be started within 3 days.
However, in those situations in which it is not known until after the three days that such an exposure occurred, it is still better to be checked as soon as possible, even if the only intervention is monitoring.
In your case, the fact that you have been taking Truvada starting on the night of the encounter actually means that you have been partially treated. Truvada alone is not a standard regimen for post-exposure prophylaxis, but it can be part of an appropriate regimen.
I would also note that a sexual encounter with an HIV positive individual with an undetectable viral load has a much lower risk of HIV transmission. While it is clear that the risk is much lower, the actual numeric risk is not clear. The preliminary evidence is that the reduction in risk is greater than can be achieved with condom use. There are some ongoing studies to try to identify the actual numeric risk, but these results will likely not be known for a couple years. When you see your doctor, he/she may want verification that he had an undetectable viral load.
So, if he truly has an undetectable viral load, you risk would be much lower, but it still would be appropriate to be seen.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.