Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Last night I ate some cottage cheese and canned fruit and very

Customer Question

Last night I ate some cottage cheese and canned fruit and very shortly afterward I got bad stabbing pain in my upper abdomine and both breast and rib cage. The pain subsided after anout 15 min. or so and I did take two GAS X tablets and the pain didn't return but I am scared to eat now. I am 56 years old and weigh 230 pounds and have type 2 Diabetes.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
it sounds like the cottage cheese and canned fruit didn't agree with you and could have caused bad stomach acid and acid reflux and esophagitis inflammation of your esophagus which can cause stabbing pain and chest pain
GasX is only good for gas and doesn't decrease stomach acid.
medications like malox or mylanta or zantac or prilosec are better to help decrease stomach acid.
you should see your doctor about this chest pain and make sure you don't have cardiac related chest pain which is unlikely but should be checked for at your age.
you should stick to a bland diet for now like rice, toast, bananas, chicken broth, yogurt, apple sauce, for now and buy some stomach acid blocking agents to have at home.
some doctors would recommend that you go to the ER and get your heart checked with an EKG and heart testing to make sure your episode is not heart related.
your symptoms don't sound heart related. they sound like you most likely didn't chew your foods well and something got caught up in your esophagus or you had bad reflux from the canned fruit and cottage cheese
if you don't eat anything, an empty stomach will produce more stomach acid when it is empty. so that is not a good idea.
I hope you have eaten something today
let me know if you have questions.