Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had uncotrlllable diahrea two years. I used

Customer Question

I have had uncotrlllable diahrea for over two years. I used to be a heavy drinker for which was the cause. ghe dr really doesn't do nothing but skirt the issue {VA DR}. its is so bad that I can't dare rid the 5 min ride to office. pepto does not work. kaopectate works after two days. please elp, I hate being housebound
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
When you say that your doctor does not do anything but skirt the issue, does that mean that no evaluation has been done for this?
Have you had any previous problems with liver or pancreas disease associated with the alcohol use?
When is the last time that you have had any blood work of liver or pancreas blood tests?
I had asked for some further information, but have not heard back.
When dealing with chronic diarrhea, it is usually better to identify and address the underlying cause. If alcohol is the underlying cause and the diarrhea persists after the alcohol is no longer consumed, the first concerns is whether there is any chronic dysfunction of the liver or pancreas, which is why I asked about these organs.
If there has not yet been any evaluation of the liver and pancreas and your current doctor is not interested in performing this evaluation, then it would be appropriate to see a different physician.
Symptomatic relief of the diarrhea is OK if no underlying cause can be identified or the underlying cause cannot be directly treated. Imodium may work better than the medicines that you have tried thus far.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.