Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

At first I thought I might have herpes simplex 2, but I haven't

Customer Question

At first I thought I might have herpes simplex 2, but I haven't been sexually active for years. I showed my friend my butt boils, and he believes it is MRSA. I may have caught MRSA when my now-deceased husband was in the hospital for two months and I spent hours there every day. My friend advises me to wait for a head to form so my boils can be lanced and packed for drainage. I'm wondering if it is safe to wait. BTW, I work at a food bank and handle food sometimes.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

no, you shouldn't wait

you should see a doctor to get a wound culture of the area to find out what sort of infection it is.

it doesn't sound like MRSA

it sounds like it could be shingles or other type of skin infection

the only way to know for sure what type of infection it is is to see a doctor and get a wound culture

can you upload a clear jpg photo of the area from a computer so I can see what we are dealing with?

here are instructions.

type a word in the textbox and highlight it

then select the "chain" icon above the textbox or the paper clip icon to upload a jpg

this opens a window where you can click next to the text box to select the jpg or pdf file on your computer to upload into JustAnswer

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am uncomfortable taking a photo of my butt crack boils and posting online. I appreciate your advice and will get a culture tomorrow. I noticed a smaller, but similarly painful sore on my side, about 4 inches below my underarm. More of same?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it could be more of the same

it could be MRSA

shingles usually affects a set skin nerve dermatome distribution.

you do need a skin culture to check for MRSA

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com