Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My wife has had a history of IBS past 15 years. It

Customer Question

My wife has had a history of IBS for the past 15 years. It seems to have flared up but we have a concern. Here the last couple of days when she has had a bowel movement the stool is brown but there is also a yellow liquid like substance coming out. She had s colonoscopy 3 years ago and they found 1 small polyp. Last year she was told her liver count was elevated die to too much acetiminophin. She got some IBS medivine 2 days ago but got sick after taking it. She had a terrible headache, throwing up what looked like bike and diarrhea. She is much better today she did see a doctor 2 days ago. What do you think the problem is?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Most likely your wife got a stomach virus which can worsen the bowel movements.
The yellow liquid stuff is due to the stool passing fast through the intestine due to the diarrhea.
The brown stool is likely the old impacted stool in high up intestine coming out with diarrhea.
No suggestions of blood in stool since no dark tarry stool.
Also vomiting and headache go well with stomach virus and resultant dehydration.
Your wife is feeling better and that also suggests recent infection and nothing else.
She should watch her diet carefully.
Better to follow a easily digestible diet for next few days --like well cooked rice, pasta, soup, broth, mashed potatoes, cooked veggies for example.
Also a probiotic like Culturelle will be helpful to restore normal intestinal movement.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
This mucous is actually normal in IBS. It is part of IBS. Not likely infection related.I suggest she try the FODMAP diet.This will help. It is proven for IBShttps://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf