Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Most of my family believes that I've lost my mind and afraid

Customer Question

Most of my family believes that I've lost my mind and afraid that they may try to hospitalize me or something worse I've almost completely stopped saying anything and suffer in silence. approximately 3 or 4 yrs ago I noticed that only one or two toes were becoming unusually callused. Now this condition is has spread to almost all parts of my body. Skin changes are Luke stretchy or like rubber. I've experienced what i would call an assult by what seems to me some type of protozoa, that goes through some type of changes. Id describe its next stage to be worm like then evolves to its later stage. At this stage it resembles the feces a flea leaves behind. Mostly looks like small white or brown flakes on my cats. This seems to coincide with my two indoor cats when occasionally have escaped outside hence then needin to be treated for what we've believed only to be fleas. Im literally at the end of my rope and in absolute fear that I may have lost my mind. please help? If further information is needed please let me know?
Kindest Regards,
Laura
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Ok let's consider a couple of possibilities here...your skin descriptions seem very atypical
The callouses on toes would not seem connected to other symptoms that you describe. There is a condition of the skin that may cause diffuse hardening called scleroderma BUT your other descriptions do not seem to match that condition.
Stretchy or loose skin could be a defect of your collagen. Your description does not seem consistent within that category either however.
Fleas? Well fleas bite and cause red bumps..
Worms? Brown or white flakes?? These do not seem to add up to me...
So I suggest 2 avenues for you to pursue...
A) see a dermatologist and show and explain your symptoms. Of skin findings come and go then take pictures ...
B) consult a psychiatrist as well. There is a psychiatric phenomenon that you may be suffering from called delusion of parasitosis...this is pay psychiatric in nature but the person suffering this may be completely fine in other regards ***** ***** you should have this diagnosis then you may benefit from treatment with an anti-psychotic medication ...they would not lock you up and your privacy and dignity stay intact...the. Condition may make you see nonspecific type things that become magnified by FEAR in the mind...
So this might be what is going on. If you do have this delusional disorder and faithfully take the right medication for you then you may find it easier to discern what may be a variety of other explanations for the skin symptoms...
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you!
If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD