Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

45 year old female, never had children , in good to great health

Customer Question

45 year old female, never had children , in good to great health as far as weight, eating and exercise. Started feeling a very dull but long lived pain over hours yesterday out of the blue in the stomach area as if I had just eaten the largest buffet on earth and couldn't put another bite in my belly. Problem is I'd not eaten at all that day and it was mid day. Still very bloated and a LOT of diarrhea going on. Feel nauteous when I think of food but forcing down some soup to keep me going at least. Still VERY bloated and full feeling.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello --
You need to consult a gastroenterologist it sounds. This presentation of symptoms demands further work up. The diarrhea and bloating may be due to wide range of possible causes. You may benefit from trying a probiotic.
I suspect that GI doctor may want to evaluate you with colonoscopy.
Lower GI infection or inflammatory bowel disease may be responsible.
You need evaluation on this however.
I hope that this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even if it happened with no food in stomach and bloodwork came back normal I should add???

Hello again!
Yes...symptoms occurring for some reason clearly. You have reason with something abnormal going on to feel full even with not eating...
Have you been having regular bowel movements?? Severe constipation or partial obstruction or pseudo-obstruction of bowel could account for your symptoms..
If constipated then you may benefit to try Miralax and or Fleet's enemas...
Regardless of initial measures that you take on your own I advise follow up with your doctor and gastroenterologist however...
Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I mentioned originally with this pain came a lot of diarrhea (on day two)

Ok...I did not recall that as we progressed in our discussion.

How long now since you had the diarrhea? Or still going on?

If ongoing pain and bloating and diarrhea then you may benefit from Pepto Bismol plus a probiotic such as Activia as example...

Reviewing it sounds more short term so perhaps a gastroenteritis...

I seemed to get impression that symptoms had been of longer duration...

The symptom of feeling full despite not eating is often a symptom of stomach irritation (so gastritis or irritation of stomach lining may be part of a gastroenteritis ) so infection and more often viral may be affecting GI tract from stomach to colon...

So if illness resolves within a week then extensive work up I agree not so necessary...

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have further details, questions or discussion.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD