Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am very upset about these medicine things going on I've been

Customer Question

I am very upset about these medicine things going on I've been soon a muscle relaxer cause my back goes out, then for 15, 16 years I've been on oxycodone because I had a 9 hour back surgery. When I lay down I get this buggy feeling down my back and legs so I've been on 5-325 of oxycodone since my surgery. Last month I had an urine infection so they did a urine test and none of my pills showed up in my urine. My doctor gave me another 100 of my oxycodone and I needed another refill yesterday so I had to do another urine test guess what nothing showed up again. I really don't get it I use 100 a month and nothing shows up they are crazy! Well last month he to the muscle relaxer away now my back and legs and my arms are really starting to give me problems. But now he just took the oxycodone away also, I demanded a blood test or I've heard about them testing the roots of the hair. I don't know what to do cause when I run out I don't sleep at all cause one time I ran out on a Friday night had to wait till a Monday to call my doctor and I didn't sleep till Monday when I got my pills. Something is wrong I don't get it. Tuesday I took 3 of my pills threw the night and 1 when I got up and then took the urine test and nothing showed up. Crazy crazy what should I do???
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Do you know what kind of test was done on the urine?
Were you given a copy of the report?
I have not heard back about what type of test was done, and the next step would depend upon what test was done.
When performing drug testing, there are screening tests, typically done by immunoassay, and more specific or confirmatory tests, such as gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, or GC/MS.
If the standard screening test for opiates was done, then it would be very common that it would miss oxycodone. The standard test for opiates are good for morphine and closely related compounds, such as heroin and codeine. However, it is not good at detecting the opiates that are semi-synthetic, such as the oxycodone. In this situation, the appropriate next step would be to request testing specific for oxycodone.
There is an immunoassay screening test for oxycodone, rather than the general screening test for opiates. If this was the test that was done, then it could miss the drug because of a false negative. All of the immunoassay tests have a certain amount of false positives and false negatives. In this situation, the appropriate next step would be to request the confirmatory test, such as GC/MS.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.