Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have had strep throat laryngitis and a bad cough in

Customer Question

hello. I have had strep throat laryngitis and a bad cough in the span of two weeks!I now find that I am still coughing a week and a half after my symptoms first began. It feels like I need to clear my throat but I can't and when I cough, the area around my breastbone hurts and is tender.I was told on Monday, that this is viral but I also hear wheezing what are your suggestions for next steps?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to this cough.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections.But this can also be bacterial like strep throat.It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat.It is caused group A Streptococcus bacteria.
Strep can not be accurately diagnosed by looking at the throat alone. It requires a laboratory test.A throat swab or a rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection.Sore throat/cough caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications.
As you are still having the symptoms about a week & half & feels to clear the throat,I advise you to get back to your doctor for throat swab test & examination accordingly.
You may be prescribed with antibiotics to cure this if the bacterial infection is confirmed.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I would like to add my opinion here if you do not mind.
Wheezing is something that needs to be evaluated ASAP.
It may be that your cough is not related to the throat infection and it may be related to bronchospasm or narrowing of your airways which is also causing your wheezing as well.
You may very well need a short course of steroids and medications to dilate your airways, called as bronchodilators.
You should go back to your doctor again to reeevaluate your condition and consider prescribing a short course of steroids along with a bronchodilator.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kind regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below when you are done asking.
Kind regards