Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos about 12 years ago prior to

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos about 12 years ago prior to that I had my gall bladder out and about 5 years prior to hashi diagnosis I was diagnosed with IBS. i have since been diagnosed with pcos and I have issues still with fatigue, sleeping, irritable, imbalance sensative to light and as always really hard to lose weight. I have been taking 88mcg of synthroid and 15 mcg of cytomel for about 4 years. From what I have read natural Dissected thyroid or Armour Thyroid seems to help many with Hashimotos, why is it so hard to get drs to want to prescribe. and i have been having join pain specifically in my hips and joint pain is a hashimotos symtom. It seems like no Dr puts together the issues with the condition.... Why don't regular Dr. check to see if a problem I am having is because of my auto Immune disease and why don't Endocronlogists tell people all the info regarding the auto immune disease?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Many doctors simply are not familiar with armour, and don't use it.
There is nothing wrong with using it.
It is likely that your thyroid is undertreated.
You need to check a TSH value. Do you have that?
Optimal for most treated patients is .8 to 1, but "normal" goes up to 4.5.
There are a lot of people walking around, treated, but essentially hypothyroid.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.