Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

My tumor marker CA 19-9 is 56 and my lipase in blood level

Customer Question

My tumor marker CA 19-9 is 56 and my lipase in blood level is 96......what indication is it and what shall i do to get everything back on normal level,thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
Guidelines from the American Society of Clinical Oncology discourage the use of CA19-9 as a screening test for cancer, particularly pancreatic cancer. The reason is that the test may be falsely normal (false negative) in many cases, or abnormally elevated in people who have no cancer at all (false positive). The main use of CA19-9 is therefore to see whether a pancreatic tumor is secreting it if that is the case, then the levels should fall when the tumor is treated, and they may rise again if the disease recurs.
In people with pancreatic masses, CA19-9 can be useful in distinguishing between cancer and other diseases of the gland .
So at this satge you should proceed with CT Scan abdomen to rule out pancreatic pathology whether it is inflammation , cancer , or what else .
So get CTS can abdomen .
So that next appropriate treatment option may be utilized to help you out .
Regards .
Please leave positive feedback for me .
Thanks .