Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a 63 year old female, healthy and non smoker and

Customer Question

Hello. I am a 63 year old female, healthy and non smoker and non drinker. I do suffer from anxiety and panic and am under a lot of stress.
I tend to accidentally bite the inside of my mouth near the inside of the cheeks and develop ulcers. Coincidentally, this week I quickly drank not tea and burned the upper roof of my mouth.
With respect to the ulcer, I developed a bumpy area where I think I may have bitten my cheek with two small white dots last Tuesday or wWednesday. By Friday, the two white bumps became one larger ulcer and is still tender, especially in the mornings, eating, and talking. I also noticed that when I try to look at the ulcer in a mirror (I probably shouldn't), there is a very tiny amount of blood. For some reason, probably due to stress and my own anxiety issues, I am panicked about the ulcer and anxious about the small bleeding and that it has not healed yet.
My questions are the following:
1. Am I being panicked for nothing? Can small drops of blood occur during the healing process?
2. Am I too anxious about the healing time? What is the healing process and when should the ulcer heal or show improvement?
3. Is it unlikely to be anything serious because of the location of the ulcer and my bite and since I am not a smoker or drinker?
4. Should I try to avoid looking at it because it increases anxiety?
5. The area in the middle is white and at times looks a little cracked like it still needs to fill in- that is where i saw the bleeding just a tiny bit. Is this a normal part of healing?
Please answer asap to reduce anxiety?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive my questions and how long will it take for an answer since I paid for high priority
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
1. yes, small drops of blood can occur in the healing process after you have bit in the inside of your cheek. everyone heals at their own rate. increased sleep and increased protein and vitamin C in your diet can help you heal better. the burn on the top of your mouth isn't helping you heal, but that should heal with time as well
2. different people heal at their own rate, if you continue to bite your cheek during the day or night, this can take longer to heal. don't let your anxiety get out of control.
3. you don't need to worry about cancer or anything serious. you bit your cheek and so this would be causing the bleeding
4. yes, you should stop looking at the area if it is worsening your anxiety.
5. yes, teh white in the middle is new mucosal tissue your body is trying to make in the area to cover the wound where you bit your inside cheek to help the area heal. yes, this is a normal part of healing
make sure you take your anxiety medications. are you on medications to help decrease your anxiety symptoms?
do increase your rest and vitamin C and protein in take to help you heal up faster.
try to avoid spicy foods and hard foods like crusty breads and hard breading like hard fried chicken which can be rough on the inside of your mouth.
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked follow up question s but never received a reply
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see your follow up question.
what is your follow up question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
test
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you typed the word test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be sure the mouth ulcer that at the cross bite that occurs last Tuesday or Wednesday can have a little bleeding and pain. How long should this take to resolve? Does this mean that there is nothing to worry about, is that correct?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it can take a week or two to resolve
some patients it can take longer to heal
the older you are, the longer it can take to heal
yes, nothing to worry about
I know you have bad anxiety issues
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?