Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I am AGE 78 NON SMOKER RETIRED 21 YEARS, WORKED AS MECHANIC

Customer Question

I am AGE 78 NON SMOKER RETIRED 21 YEARS, WORKED AS MECHANIC WITH EXPOSURE TO ASBESTOS BRAKES AND CLUTCHES, SMOKE FROM WELDING OXY AND ACET. AND SECOND HAND CIGARETTE SMOKE 25 YEARS OF EXPOSURE APROX 20000 HRS, I HAVE had a severe cough for aprox 16 years and am taking 2 inhalers salbutamol and advair 2 puffs twice daily
aprox every 3-4 months I get Brociatitis and have precribed Biaxin for 10 days to clear up the infection and the cycle repeats its self again and again, I have had xrays and a cat scan which revealed a ground glass nodule 4 mm in the left lung breathing volume tests seemed normal Medical specialist requested a repeat cat scan in 12 months, I have filed a workers compensation claim and they say the cat scan is non conclusive am I a cancer in progress or high risk of getting cancer of the lungs
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
A ground glass opacity should be treated as a nodule that is suspicious for lung cancer
However, a 4 mm nodule is very low risk.
I would say that the chance of cancer is low and I agree with the follow up scan in 1 year