Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My son is prescribed morphine n-oxide to take the place of

Customer Question

My son is prescribed morphine n-oxide to take the place of slow release oxycotin to help him with draw from pain meds. I worry he mat be worse off with new med than what he was on. Can you give me helpful information on differences in these two?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
long acting morphine is called MS Contin or morphine sulfate ER extended release.
it is often a less expensive long acting opiate which is used just like slow release OxyContin long acting oxycodone ER extended release.
morphine n-oxide is an active opioid metabolite of morphine and is not prescribed as a medication but is broken down from morphine or morphine ER
both morphine ER and Oxycontin can cause constipation and both have risks for dependence and addiction
I suspect that he was prescribed morphine sulfate with naltrexone or Embeda. Naltrexone is added to the morphine pill to help cut down on his cravings for opiates and can help patients who are addicted to nacrotics such as oxycontin.
is the morphine he is prescribed also with naltrexone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know but will check with him on naltrexone. That does help me understand why they would change to that. He is hoping to be off in 6 to 8 months. This started out as help for pain from scelrosing colongitis and abscesses in ducts. He has cut back on amounts. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you are welcome
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
I have an alternative opinion. I would recommend two other drugs to help with withdrawal. They are cheaper and more effective. I would wean off the opiates slowly. At the same time, use clonidine. This is an old blood pressure pill that works excellent for opiates withdrawal. Also, vistaril 25 mg three times a day as needed. This combination works very well for opiates withdrawal. Naltexone isn't necessary