Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Number of years I have been having trouble with

Customer Question

For a number of years I have been having trouble with extreme tiredness and pain in my legs and feet. Sometimes my legs feel as though they are full of lead. Have had low back issues also.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry you are having trouble with fatigue and pains in your legs and feet
lower back issues could be a sign that you have slipped disks or arthritis in your lower back pressing on nerves exiting the spinal cord causing pain to radiate to your legs. also loss of nerve input into your legs can cause them to feel tired and weak
fatigue can come from low iron levels or low B12 or low vitamin D levels or low thyroid hormone levels
you need to see a doctor to get these levels checked.
you should also see about getting an MRI scan of your lower lumbar spine with contrast to check your bones and disks and nerves in your lower back to see if you have pressure on nerves exiting your neuro foramen in your lower back causing your leg symptoms.
when was the last time you had a lower back MRI scan?
in rare cases, blood clots in you legs can cause swelling and pain as well
some doctors would recommend that you see a doctor right away
or go to the ER for urgent evaluation .
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.
I have a different opinion.
You are not giving any of the main symptoms of disc disease.
This sounds more like muscle disease, and there are a variety of possibilities.
As far as systemic illness, I don't see Vitamin D or B12..you don't have any of the more common symptoms.
You need a CPK and you need to see either an internist, rheumatologist, or neurologist.
You also need
Thyroid studies.
ANA panel
SED rate.
Of course the spine needs to be examined, but fatigue without radiculopahty in spine disease would be very rare....clinically speaking.
I am a double board certified US doctor.
I will always give you accurate, clinically correct, and safe answers.
Find me any time by request in medical.
Please click a positive rating on this specific post [mine] if you want me to get reimbursed by JA for expertise and correct information.
Let me know if you have further questions.