Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a 100% disabled Vet, my PSA went up to 8.8 and the VA

Customer Question

I am a 100% disabled Vet, my PSA went up to 8.8 and the VA doctors went nuts..."you have prostate cancer and it has spread". They suggested the only thing I could do is take a 4 month Lupron shot. I forced them to send me to the Univ. of Miami and they did every test possible...I do not have any sign of Prostate cancer and it has not spread ( bone scan etc.) Here is my question...They said it was a 4 month shot, but yesterday they said it would remain in my system for 6-8 months. I am having terrible reactions but right now the worse if I get very fatigued playing tennis and even 9 holes of golf. Should I push myself or slow down till the 8 months is over. Could I take a testostorone shot to counter act the Lupron which I am sure was a huge mistake to give me in the first place! Thank You, George
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
That was unfortunate.
Lupron is an antiandrogen so it wipes out testosterone from your body.
Your body or testicles may not be able to resume normal production soon enough.
It may take 6 to 8 months even longer a year even.
Since you do not have prostate cancer, you can opt for low dose testosterone supplementation to boost your energy level.
Androgel can be used.
Please discuss with your doctor about this option.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)