Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a 34 year old female. I have a history with cervical HPV-18.

Customer Question

I am a 34 year old female. I have a history with cervical HPV-18. For about 3-4 years I continue to test positive. I recently noticed white patches in the back of my throat. Not in my mouth and not on my tonsils. They are far to the back. They are white patches and streaks. Sometimes surrounded by red. I had a sinus infection and sore throat and that's when I first looked. Not sure if they were there before that because I never looked. I went on antibiotics and got better, but the patches remain. My primary care said they were "build up" and to gargle, but that has not helped. An ENT said they were viral "ulcers". However, they have lingered for a month. I am worried because of my history with HPV. They look like the sores associated with pharyngitis, but my throat is not sore. I have made an appt. with another ENT. Since both docs gave me a different answer, I figure I need a third opinion.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
I understand your concerns.
Persistent white patches at the back of throat can be due to the viral infection.
Epstein Barr virus is one common cause.
Yes HPV virus can also cause this through oral sex.
This is not unheard of.
The best option will be to see a ENT specialist and get a biopsy done for confirmation.
Percentage wise, it is about 2 to 5% risk of being HPV.
They have no significance if not HPV related.
I think you made the wise move.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)