Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Can I take Viagra when on blood pressure medication?

Customer Question

I am currently in medication for my blood pressure (Candesartan 8mg) and I want to take Sildenafil(Viagra) for my erectile dysfunction. Is it harmful?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
That is fine to take Viagra along with candesartan. That would not be a problem.
The warnings with regard to Viagra have mainly to do with nitrates( sub lingual nitroglycerin for angina or similar long acting ones such as Imdur for chronic angina)
Your class of blood pressure medicine is not the type we would be concerned about.
So speak with your doctor about obtaining trial prescription for Viagra. You want to take that 30 minutes to an hour prior to sex. The benefits of the medicine would be to help you obtain and maintain better an erection during the 4 plus hours following dose. ( sexual stimulation is still needed to obtain erection...several people have been tripped up on that fine point)