Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

When I eat food my mouth dries out. It feels like that strange

Customer Question

When I eat food my mouth dries out. It feels like that strange feeling you get when you eat spinach. Even water gives me that feeling.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Thanks for requesting me.
Your doctor needs to decide if you have acid reflux.
That can cause this feeling.
He/she should also run an ANA panel to make sure there is no sign of sjogren's syndrome, which causes dry mouth and dry eyes.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I don't have indigestion so how can it be acid reflux? My tongue and mouth feel sore but I don't have white patches in mouth and on tongue. Dentist said bacteria buildup could cause my tongue to coat & gave me a tongue scraper but that seems to irritate. Maybe I'm too aggressive with it. I tried a new lip gloss 5 days ago and it seemed to dry out the inside and outside of my lower lip. Don't know if there's a correlation. Stopped using it. I get that dry, puckering symptom (like when you suck on a lemon) when I eat anything. I feel as if I have saliva but could I have a blocked salivary gland. Very frustrating
You could still have reflux, with dry mouth only. This happens.
You could have a salivary gland problem, and that goes along with sjogren's syndrome, which I mentioned above, and for which you need a blood test.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.