Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Getting up after sitting period is extrememly painful.

Customer Question

getting up after sitting for a period is extrememly painful. takes several minutes before i can straighten up and walk without pain. oddly i can walk long distances without pain but getting up after sitting is painful in my right hip and side. also uncomfortable on my right side. if i turn suddenly i experience spasms. been going on for at least a month
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
sitting long periods of time can push disks out of place in your lower back and these disk herniations can press on nerves exiting your lower back making it extremely painful
the spasms from sudden turning can be from pinched nerves in your lower back as well.
you need to see your doctor to get an MRI scan of your lower back to check for disk herniations and pinched nerves
there are open MRI scanner machines which can do a lower back MRI scan with you in a seated position.
http://www.whiteplainsradiology.com/services/mri-open-sitting-mri-3tmri.php
this might be best to look at your back in the seated position to check for pinched nerves from herniated disks in this position
let me know if you have questions.