DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Good afternoon, my son has adhd (per my ex wife). I have not

Customer Question

Good afternoon, my son has adhd (per my ex wife). I have not witnessed a lot of adhd issues with my son, but my rx wife has told people and drs my son (who is now 14) has had this since age 2. She has been to several drs and found a dr that has my son on 150 mg of medadate, 5g of abilify and 2g of another med (gulifacine?) per day. Because the information has only come from his mother it concerns me and I don't feel my son is the one even taking all this med (he is 5"3, 120 pounds). The dr prescribing the meds has said he won't treat him any longer because I have requested a second opinion and questioned why the dosages were so high. It just seems very unethical for a dr to remove himself after 4 years without even offering a transition plan. What can I do and do these dosages seen high to any drs out there? This is a child who have a very high iq and has always had above c grades. Now on the meds he is getting Lower grades.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
It is entirely inappropriate in my view for a general doctor to use this combination of meds in a child.
Solution: take your son to an adolescent psychiatrist to get a real diagnosis and treatment.
The fact that the current doctor refused care because of questions is a red flag, and extremely disturbing.
A parent making the diagnosis and searching for a doctor to give out meds on that basis is also inappropriate in my view, although it is still the doctor who bears the responsibility.
8
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.