Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr Shah. About a year ago I developed shingles, with an

Customer Question

Hi Dr Shah.
About a year ago I developed shingles, with an obvious papular rash on my right buttock and severe pain down my leg. I went to the doctor and was prescribed Valtrex because the onset was within 72 hours. Also Lyrica for the pain. The pain by then was not only buttock and leg, but also scrotal. The scrotal pain was the worst of all.
One year later, everything healed ecept scrotal pain, red areas and extreme itching.
What do you think - post herpetic neuralgia, jocj itch, extrammamary Paget's disease, etc
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and one last thing - I've had this scrotal pain and redness intermittantly for several months, and as I live in Australia I've just been through its warm summer. I have arrived in Lindon UK for a holiday, after the 24 hour flight the scrotum is red and itchy - 2 hours enclosed in underwear - "jocks" - even with shower and change of underwear half way in Dubai.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The expert that you requested has not responded, so the question has been opened to other experts to get a more timely answer.
Can I be of assistance?
Or would you rather wait for the requested expert?
I have not heard back regarding the request for clarification.
It is common to develop pain after shingles, but post-herpetic neuralgia would not cause the redness that you describe.
The most common cause of the scrotal pain, redness, and itching would be a fungal infection. If you have a picture of the redness, I can better comment upon whether it appears to be fungal.
You have already been tried on topical anti-fungal medicines, so the usual next step for a stubborn fungal skin infection would be an oral anti-fungal, such as Diflucan.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.