Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have blood in my urine and feel like I have to go the bathroom

Customer Question

i have blood in my urine and feel like
I have to go the bathroom all the time. This stared a couple of hours ago
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The most likely cause of recent onset of blood in the urine and increased frequency of urination would be a urine infection. It is also common for blood in the urine to be due to kidney stones, but kidney stones typically does not have as much of an effect on urinary frequency.

The usual approach to a urinary infection is a course of oral antibiotics, and that would require being seen by your doctor. Until you can be seen, drinking plenty of fluids to flush the system may help. There also are some over the counter medicines that can help ease some of the irritation associated with urine infections, such as Azo-Standard. There also is a supplement, D-mannose, that may help to a certain extent. The studies indicate that the supplement is better at preventing urine infections, but some people claim that it can also ease an acute infection.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.