Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I fell and fractured 2 ribs on my right said 41/2 days ago.

Customer Question

I fell and fractured 2 ribs on my right said 41/2 days ago. I waited 2 days to get an xray to discover this. No radiologist was available to read the xray at the time, so the PA told me I had 2 broken ribs. Today (2 days after the xray) I got a call from the Dr office and they said the radiologist finally looked at my xray today and found a pneumothorax. They recommended that I go to the ER to have it looked at further. I am experiencing a lot of pain and welling, however the symptoms (pain, shortness of breath) have not gotten better or worse. Do I need to rush to the ER tonight, or (since it's been 4 days) is it safe to wait till the morning?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to this fall. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
A pneumothorax is air that is trapped next to a lung.
The outcome of pneumothorax depends upon the extent and type of pneumothorax. A small pneumothorax will generally resolve on its own without treatment.
If only a small portion of your lung is collapsed, your doctor may simply monitor your condition.Series of x-rays will be done to keep a watch.Tis may take a week or two.
If a larger area of your lung has collapsed, it's likely that a needle or chest tube will be used to remove the air.
Yes,you need to get it treated at ER but as your symptoms does not get worse,I do not think that there is need to rush to ER.You can wait till the morning.
Just keep an eye on your symptoms like severe chest pain,great discomfort in breathing or any other symptom that cause great discomfort.
Otherwise you can wait till morning to go to ER & treat accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
NO
DO NOT Wait
Some of these can spontaneously become life threatening and you do not want to take that chance.
I am a double board certified US doctor.
I will always give you correct information.
Find me by request in medical as needed.
Please click a positive rating.