Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

What causes a healthy 65 year old man to lose all interest

Customer Question

What causes a healthy 65 year old man to lose all interest in sex?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
Well, There are some common causes for such condition.
The common ones are psychological stress, emotions, anxiety, relationship conflicts, hormonal deficiency, excess prolactin, chronic illness.
The other possibility could be the depression which may also be associated with such low libido in men and is treated with the antidepressant medications.
The hormonal deficiency of testosterone may also cause such symptoms of low sexual drive and should be ruled out.
You should have the relevant investigations done like blood counts, diabetes, serum testosterone, to know the associated abnormality after consulting your doctor.
You should also avoid smoking and alcohol if you take so as this may aggravate your symptoms.
The treatment depends on the underlying cause.
Blood testing and Urological Consultation will address this and if there are medical issues, appropriate interventions will follow.
Once Medical factors have been ruled out, then you would want to consult a sex therapist to address psychological issues that may be impacting this loss.
Decrease in male sex hormones due to an endocrine disorder would cause sudden loss of sex desire. A thorough clinical evaluation and testing should be done.
If no medical cause is found, treatment options may include testosterone replacement therapy.
If it is related with stress or depression, then psychotherapy alone or in combination with antidepressant medication would be helpful.
I would recommend that you can start with Urologist and discuss this issue.
If required, they may refer you to Endocrinologist for further management.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.