Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Golf Courses make me very sick without wearing a mask

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The most common reason for getting sick on a golf course that would be prevented by wearing a mask would be an allergy, and for a golf course, the most common allergen would be from pollen related to various plants associated with the golf course. A mask may not block every allergen, but many pollens are of a size to be blocked by a mask, and since it is apparently helping, it would indicate that it is successfully blocking whatever it is to which you are allergic.
There are a couple of other options available at this point. It may help to take an oral antihistamine about a half hour before starting the round of golf. Some people do better using a nasal steroid spray, and Nasacort is now available over the counter, but this would usually need to be taken more regularly, rather than just before the round of golf. It also would be an option to see an Allergist for testing to try to determine the substance to which you are sensitive.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.