Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Can't eat take couple bites and start choking up cups of thick

Customer Question

Can't eat take couple bites and start choking up cups of thick elastic like stuff lost so much weight live off ensure I'm 88 yes man and am in good health otherwise
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It sounds that this trouble swallowing has been a recurrent problem. You need further evaluation. I advise that you see your gastroenterologist.
It sounds that you need to have a modified barium swallow to evaluate this at this time.
The trouble that you describe could relate to esophageal stricture.( It sounds that you have been treated for this previously.) It could be a recurrent problem.
You may have achalasia which is trouble involving coordination of swallowing.
Problems swallowing such as you seem to describe May be due to neurological problems as well.
A modified barium swallow is the study to help evaluate the cause.
If you should feel that food gets stuck and you can't relieve it then in that situation go to the ER! Food stuck in the esophagus is a genuine emergency.Hopefully you will not face this level of problem.
It concerns me that you describe level of problem that you are losing weight and need to rely on Ensure.
I hope that this information helps.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD