Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband has almost literally stopped talking conversation

Customer Question

my husband has almost literally stopped talking conversation wise. Anything you ask him he always says "I don't know"He watches Andy Griffith over and over constantly he has seen the episodes same ones over and over.He walks very slowly kind of a scoot.He doesn't eat very much and when he does he eats the same things over and over like chicken sandwich and coke.He has stopped shaving cringes when I just mention a shower and hair cut he will say I'm sick I don't feel good...he is unkept its not my fault he will not let me groom him.He is getting worse and weaker he can hardly talk above a whisper.We have been to a Dr she gave him carpodopa/levodopa he sometimes will not take it I will find it laying some place.Also folic acid.He gets B12 shots b/c not enough red or white not sure which I'm sure you know.He will ONLY leave the house to go to DR then sometimes he will say I'm to sick to go today...He is in bed several hours I would say maybe and this is a stretch he is only up like 4 hours a day at the outside 6 hours a day but very rarely.thank oyu in advance for your knowledge
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
When a doctor prescribes levodopa/carbidopa, that usually is because of a diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease, and it is common for Parkinson’s disease to cause slowed muscular activity and a shuffling gait. The levodopa/carbidopa is the usual first-line medicine for Parkinson’s disease and generally works well, although the medicine will obviously work better if taken regularly. It may be necessary for you to oversee the administration of the medicine to assure that the medicine is being taken regularly.
However, the other concern with this history is whether he is also developing clinical depression. It is fairly common for patients with Parkinson’s disease to also have problems with clinical depression. Doctors may prefer to see how well the person responds to the levodopa/carbidopa, but if the symptoms are more severe, it would be appropriate to also consider treatment with an antidepressant.
Folic acid and vitamin B12 deficiency will cause a red blood cell deficiency, but it also would be appropriate to assure that the red blood count has improved with the vitamin supplementation, as continued low blood count can contribute to his symptoms.
So, the most important first step would be to assure regular use of the levodopa/carbidopa and if the symptoms are more significant to also discuss the use of an antidepressant and rechecking the blood count with his doctor.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.