Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Every night after I can not relax as my feet and wrists have

Customer Question

every night after I can not relax as my feet and wrists have aches and I cant keep them still i have to keep walking with my feet and keep shaking my wrists this is a horrible thing to have as every i just have to keep moving i am getting very up tightwith this thing it is making my nights a misery
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
This is usually a sign of peripheral neuropathy.
There are many causes of peripheral neuropathy, the most common ones are vitamin B 12 deficiency, hypothyroidism, diabetes mellitus and idiopathic (that is the cause can not be ascertained most of the times).
Once the cause of the neuropathy is established the treatment can be aimed at correcting the cause while providing symptomatic treatment for the aches and restlessness.
For example, if there is vitamin B 12 deficiency, the vitamin is replaced by oral or injectable supplements and a nerve membrane stabilizer like Gabapentin or Pregabalin is given to relieve the symptoms.
Another cause of wrist pain at night is carpal tunnel syndrome. This is when the median nerve is compressed in the wrist under the tendons and usually requires a surgical intervention to relieve the symptoms and decompress the nerve.
I would suggest that you visit your PCP and have this evaluated, since this requires treatment as it is impairing your quality of life.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have any concerns about this.
Best wishes.