DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Dr. Thomas. I have been suffering from neuropathy or at least neuropathy type sympto

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Thomas. I have been suffering from neuropathy or at least neuropathy type symptoms for about 3 years. I have a numbness in the ball of my right root. I think had then same thing in left foot. Over time it has become more generalized in the feet and lower legs, more like burning. Blood work has show elevated b6 levels steady in the 80's since 2012. I don't take any b6 supplements. I do take a b12. I take a multivitamin from time to time but it has 2mg of b6 in it and I take it maybe two days a week. My diet it good with the exception of coffee in the morning. Probably 5 or 6 cups and 2 or 3 dark beers catching up on the news in the evening. It is really getting me down and can make concentration at work difficult. Could this b6 level cause my symptoms. Is there anything I can do to get it into a normal range. Thanks you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Thanks for requesting me....
You can not take any in your supplements.
It does sound like this is from your supplements.
What work up have you had? Besides the EMG?
What did the EMG show?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't take any B6 supplement and other than an occasional multi vitamin I never have. Blood work I believe was pretty extensive
But mostly normal except for the consistEntly elevated b6
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It is not just basic blood work that needs to be done.
What did the EMG /NCS show?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The results were abnormal, but that is all I was told about it. The last one was about 2 yrs ago. I have another scheduled for later this month. I had blood work done at that time also ( 2yrs ago) and the doctor said all was normal except the B6 which was 85. The last blood test last month showed 83. Show seems steady over 2 years. Could this cause my neuropathy symptoms and what could cause it to be high if I don't take supplements
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No
It is not your B6 level.
I am not sure why tou have not followed up on your EMG/NCS
Abnormal results warrant evaluation, and you should have a diagnosis that fits those results.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.