Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

Can I have appendicititis if a CT Scan showed a right paracolic

Customer Question

Can I have appendicititis if a CT Scan showed a right paracolic gutter and what exactly is a paracolic gutter and how do they usually treat them
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
Well paracolic gutters (paracolic sulci, paracolic recesses) are spaces between the colon and the abdominal wall and these spaces are present in every individual , in some cases when there are inflamed nearby structures they get filled with inflammatory materials and pus give potential space for inflammation .
So if your CT abdomen showed right prominent paracolic gutter than possibility of underlying inflammation of appendix should be ruled out .
Regards .
Positive feedback will be appreciated .
Thanks .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the CZt Scan yesterday at 2pm my primary care doctor called at end of day around 4pm about the CT Scan. I was supposed to leave next Monday to go to Sweden but he said I have to cancel the trip because this is serious and must come first. He also said he has to put into the computer for me an urgent consult for general surgery. How do you think they typically will treat me. Because my doctor did use the term appendicititis when he talked to me.
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
Acute appendicitis is usually emergency , but as you have no active issue right now except CT Finding so I think you will be managed conservatively without surgery .
Regards .
Positive feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I read the full report from the CT Scan I had done on Monday it mentions three different things, appendiceal lesion, right ovarian lesion and endometriom a how can they come up with this three different areas. I got a call from my primary care doctor nurse and said he put into the computer on the 11 an urgent consult for general surgery. Today I got a call from my primary care doctor nurse to inform me that the surgeon wants more tests so tomorrow at 11am I am having an ultrasound of pelvis and 1 hour before to drink lots of water to make sure bladder is full for it. How likely do you think they will do the pelvis ultrasound tomorrow by vaginalky because I have a very hard time if it will be done that way. And then the nurse mention something about a colonoscopy why do you think they need that test done. I haven't gotten a date for the colonoscopy yet. But with the pelvis ultrasound tomorrow how like do you think they will have to do it vaginalky because I won't be able to handle it that way.
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
If there are different lesions than possibility of cancer in different areas should be ruled out and they are doing same thing by doing ultrasonography pelvis and later colonoscopy .
Regards .
Positive feedback will be appreciated .
If you wish you to continue chatting first rate my answer please .
Regards .