Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My tinnitus appeared during a head cold but could also be

Customer Question

My tinnitus appeared during a head cold but could also be due to concurring barotrauma / noise incident... Four weeks later, should I consider my tinnitus permanent? An emergency alarm, a screaming child and a repeatedly honked car horn in very close proximity
caused a spike in my tinnitus and muffled hearing... should I be worried? Is it true that "healing" ears are more susceptible to further noise induced damage? I have scheduled ABR / OAE testings and I need to know if they should be postponed. I've read that
inner ear hair cells don't die immediately after being attacked. How long does it take for the damage to show up on the above tests? I've had two inconclusive audiograms so far but they only tested up to 8kHz. What if my tinnitus is caused by hearing loss
in the higher frequencies? Will that be picked up by ABR / OAE? What is the usual range tested? I work in a noisy environment and I've tried wearing foam ear plugs but it doesn't work... I'm considering investing in some electronic musician plugs that let
you hear normally and only kick in when needed. What are your thoughts on those? Is there anything else I should know / take / do? Will I eve experience complete silence again? :( Thank you very much.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Given what you have posted I would not consider your tinnitus permanent until you have had a complete examination by an ENT specialist along with serial hearing tests.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS