Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 30 yr old female experiencing recurrent cold sores

Customer Question

Hi i am a 30 yr old female experiencing recurrent cold sores around my mouth every week. I have tried taking lysine and acyclovir neither have made much difference. Im getting more sores every week. Is there any other tablets i can take?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

There are a couple options in this situation.

There are a couple of similar drugs, but can be tried if acyclovir is not effective - Valtrex and Famvir. Valtrex is converted to acyclovir in the body, but has a more sustained action, so does not need to be taken as often and may be more effective. The Famvir is similar, but slightly different, so may work better for some people.

For any of these medicines, it is also an option to consider higher doses of the drugs. This is more commonly needed in someone with an issue with their immune system, but can be done in others as well if the standard dose is not effective.

So, the first step would be either Valtrex or Famvir.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And am i able to keep taking these tablets indefinitely? Will they stop me getting weekly outbreaks as its really getting me down i cant do anything

Yes, we have had many patients taking these medicines for long periods of time. It is also true that herpes outbreaks typically diminish over time, so we typically do not need to look at life-long treatment, only until the natural diminishing occurs.

One of these medicines will work for the vast majority of patients. There is no drug that works 100% of the time, but between the three medicines, we can typically find one that works well for each patient.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And both of these can be used as suppression therapy? What doses would i need to take of each to make this work

Yes, both can be taken as suppresive therapy.

The suppressive dose of Valtex is 1 gram daily and of Famvir is 250 mg every 12 hours.