Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 32 ur old FM, whose been having severe pain in muscles,

Customer Question

I am a 32 ur old FM, whose been having severe pain in muscles, to begin with 2 weeks ago. Since this last Monday I've developed a migraine & now my bones & joints are hurting. I've seen several drs who all tell me to take more nsaids, but I had a gastric bypass 10 years ago & even though I shouldn't I am taking all the nsaids. None of the drs seem to be willing to listen to me nor are they willing to help, are you able & willing to help me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Is this affecting all the muscles or only certain muscles?
If only certain muscles, which muscles are affected?
Which NSAID have you been taking? At what dose?
Have you had any fever?
Is there any muscle weakness?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
If the pain is occurring diffusely, it is more likely to be either an infection or an inflammatory condition. If it is more localized, then it is more likely to be musculoskeletal.
When there is more diffuse muscle pain of recent onset, it is frequently due to a viral infection, particularly if it is associated with a fever. It also could be a diffuse inflammatory condition.
If there is muscle weakness associated with the pain, it would be more likely to be a more serious muscular or neurologic condition.
The recommendation by your doctor is a common approach, as a short course of an NSAID will treat most of the common causes of muscle pain. In someone that should not take NSAIDs, the other common alternative would be to use acetaminophen. It does not relieve inflammation, but also does not irritate the stomach. If plain acetaminophen is not sufficient, then stronger medicines would only be available by prescription. It also would be reasonable to apply moist heat, and for diffuse muscle pain, it can be best accomplished by soaking in hot bath water or a hot tub.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.