Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Some times when i talk i get a sharp glass like stab in my adams apple . its stops me f

Customer Question

hi some times when i talk i get a sharp glass like stab in my adams apple . its stops me from talking then go's straight away. i have had it for about 4 months now. i went to hospital and had n,e,t stick a camera down my nose but they could see nothing but it has not gone away. its very strange as it comes and go's in a second but when it dose come it brings on tears because its so sharp and fast but not in an emotional way. other than that i dont smoke or really drink and i dont take any meds and consider my self pretty healthy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Sounds like a nerve that discharges spontaneously for a second.
You may be having what is called as glossopharyngeal neuralgia.
Imaging studies like MRI of your brain may show swelling of the glossopharyngeal nerve and is also helpful in rule out a tumor that may be the cause of this.
Medications like carbamazepine, pregabalin may be helping in alleviating the pain.
I would recommend that you be referred to a neurologist to evaluate this appropriately.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kind regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi thanks for your reply i have just looked at it and it seems different to what im saying. its only when i talk "but not every time i talk" that i can suddenly receive these stabbing glass like pain in my adams apple. when it happens i try to feel around my throat to see if there is an area of where something may be stuck but i cant feel any thing. but if i clench my adams apple but not to tight i can feel it sort of to the back of it say 2 o clock if my neck was 12 o clock but like i say its very quick to go but it brings on tears and cant speak like its a spasm for 2 to 3 seconds its so strange
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I understand what you are saying and the exact symptoms can happen in people with glossopharyngeal neuralgia.
Glossopharyngeal nerve is a nerve that gives sensations to the throat and the voice box.
The Adam's apple is where the throat box is located.
When you talk, sometimes the nerve misfires and causes your pain or the spasm like feeling that you are describing.
This particular symptoms can be seen in patients with this condition which is why I think that you should be evaluated for it.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so are you saying i should ask for an m.r.i scan on my throat? and this would give me a proper result of whats going on or should i ask for some else or along side the m.r.i
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Yes you should have MRI of your throat and head included.
You should consult a neurologist for further evaluation.