Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I am a 65 year old woman. I have been married years

Customer Question

I am a 65 year old woman. I have been married for 45 years and have 4 children & 5 grandchildren. I have high blood pressure & am on Toprol & Losartan. Otherwise I am in excellent health. I recently had routine blood work done which came back normal. I am very concerned because for the past month now my hands (especially my right hand) get tingly and fall asleep if I raise them higher than waist level. I am bothered with occasional osteo arthritis in my hands, but this is very different. I keep losing circulation in my hands. I have been playing more computer games, and at first I thought that was the problem, but the problem keeps getting worse. My question is what type of specialist should I see, and do you have any thoughts as to what this might be. Thanks much! Claudia Paulson
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
I understand your concern.
You likely developed nerve related problem.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is more likely if only the hand falls asleep.
Cervical spine arthritis also can cause this in which case, the numbness affects your whole arm.
You should see a neurologist for further evaluation.
For now, you should get a wrist brace and put it on at night time to keep the hand in neutral position.
This provides maximum rest to the affected nerves helping with the recovery.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello Claudia. I would like to provide another opinion. This could be a serious impingement of blood flow or a nerve.The fact that when you raise your arm, it causes symptoms is serious. It could be that blood flow or nerve flow is obstructed doing thisI would recommend you see a doctor at urgent care or ER right away.