Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have been getting very clammy and hot but not all the

Customer Question

Hi I have been getting very clammy and hot but not all the time for about 7 days I do have a cold and chest is very tight what might be wong with me.?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
These are symptoms of fever. When the fever wears off the body tends to sweat and due to evaporation, it gets cold and clammy.
If you have a chest cold, then having a fever for 7 days means that this is most likely bacterial in etiology and might require antibiotics.
I would advise that you start on steam inhalations with menthol crystals thrice a day and expectorate the sputum as much as you can.
Use lozenges to soothe the throat and keep yourself hydrated. Use oral hydration solutions like Gatorade or Pedialyte, they will keep your electrolytes balanced as well.
I would also suggest that you take some chicken soup as it has been proved scientifically to enhance immunity against upper and lower respiratory tract infections.
The best course of action will be to see your PCP for a prescription of antibiotics for 5 to 7 days, to eradicate the bacteria causing the infection.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have any more queries about this.
Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is a heart problem until proven otherwise.
Clammy and a tight chest are typical of angina, and these are underdiagnosed in women with bad outcomes.
Go to A & E now...have an EKG.
A impending heart attack is not a home treatment situation.
In addition, we treat pneumonia with antibiotics, not a chest cold and not antibiotics typically, which would be inappropriate.
I am a double board certified doctor and will always give you correct answers.
Find me, Dr. Thomas, as needed.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.