Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Outer ears are very itchy

Customer Question

My outer ears are very itchy up to point it feels like burning and my scalp on too of both ears are very itchy too , also forehead and some parts of face
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant the scalp on both sides above the ears are so very itchy. Both top outside of my ears feels swollen and feels so itchy and burning like sensation. Very warm to touch.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
What is your question?
Without the test, then it is hard to say
Do you have a picture?
If there is no rash, this is not a skin problem, and is more likely to be a systemic illness.
If you have more information, a question, and pictures, let me know.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My scalp, i looked its very red and flaky so are the top outside of my ears. I touched my ears and they are very warm. The itchiness bothers me more than anything, up to the point I cant function at work. I work at a hospital and with gloves, etc, environment , it gets worse. what can I buy over the counter? Cream etc. i cant take antihistamine bc im doing skin testing on monday, so i cant take antihistamine 3 days before my appt.
What you use needs to be based on your skin testing.
If this is seborrhea, then nizorol shampoo...prescription.
There is an over the counter version.
If it is eczema, then you need a prescription steroid.
So, it depends on the findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats the alternative to the shampoo, I mean whats the over the counter? I need to stop itching Asap.... I ordered free n clear shampoo and conditioner online, but wont arrive til next week, and I cannot wait that long. I have asthma, does eczema affect the itching? Thank yo
There is a nizoral over the counter.
I can not recommend a treatment, as there is no diagnosis.
We do not treat on line.