Hello - would like an answer from an infectious disease specialist.
I had a severe illness episode in November that I tried fighting at home for week but eventually put me in the hospital for 3 days after with 104 degree fever, incredibly itchy rash all over body, and severely elevated liver enzymes levels. Doctors tested for everything under the sun from Viral
Menningitis, Lyme to HIV RNA PCR, to Syphillis, CBV, EMV, Enterovirus detector by PCR, ANA for lupus etc.. and everything came back negative. Could not figure it out but initially thought was viral. Docs sent skin for biopsy and came back with hypersensitive drug reaction to minocycline
that I had been taking for a couple weeks. Docs treated me with Prednisone and brought temperature, rash and liver levels down. Was then put on a 5 month regimen of prednisone that started at 30mg and tapered down to 5mg to ensure liver was back to normal. In that time I experienced 2 fungal infections, had brittle nails and had weight gain. In addition to all of this I have had slow wound healing as I had a small surgical wound(hence me being on the minocycline) that the wound care folks say has been slowed by the prednisone but has taken 6 months to close!
I have been off the steroids for almost two months and in that time have experienced several patches of dry skin/rash on my face that derms first diagnosed as eczema because of raised dime sized nature but have since diagnosed as another yeast/fungal infection. I also have some chronic itching sensations all over my body since the initial illness.
So my questions:
- Do symptoms from a allergic drug reaction last this long?
- Do symptoms since going on prednisone sound consistent with impact of steroids on my immune system?
- Would they last this long after ending the course of predinsone?
- I have read a lot about oportunitistic infections with viruses and am going crazy with worry - Do you think this could be some sort of unknown virus misdiagnosed as drug allergy reaction and doctors just haven't been able to find ?
- What else could I be testing for?
I've been given so many antibiotics and skin creams/oils etc.. in past 6 months and nothing seems to be getting to underlying issue. Needless to stay this has been a rough ride and i just want to get back to normal.