Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have been diagnosed with gallstones. My internist thinks

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with gallstones. My internist thinks I should have surgery soon. What is the danger of postponing surgery for several months. What is the best method of removing the gallbladder or can it be bombarded with a laser like kidney stones. What is the recuperation time? Any dietary restrictions once removed? Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question. Your internist is correct. It is best done when healthy.
The problem is that if the gall stones become trapped, it can literally choke out the gall bladder and cause the organ to die. Having a dead organ inside you is very bad and it can result in an emergency surgery that is very messy or death. That is the worst case scenario
The gall bladder should be removed now via laparoscopic surgery. The surgery is minimally invasive and recovery time is fast. You cannot use lasers. Surgical removal is the only way.
Recuperation time is about 1-2 weeks.
You can't eat as much fat after the organ is gone. You can still eat some but eating excess fat will cause diarrhea. This is because the gall bladder functions to store and concentrate bile (which digests fat)