Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I received a concussion 7 months ago. Since then I have fully

Customer Question

I received a concussion 7 months ago. Since then I have fully recovered and abstained from contact sports. I am now actively involved in baseball and was wondering if I should avoid diving for balls in the outfield? Can a routine dive for a baseball, on the grass, cause another concussion?
Also, my research on concussion recovery yields one common answer "those who have suffered from a concussion are 3-5 times more likely to suffer from another one". Does this statement pertain to the recovery period or is this evident for the rest of your life?
*For example, let's say I receive another concussion in 10 years; will I still be 3-5 times more likely to receive a concussion even though it has been a decade since I last received one?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I think that you are best to be reasonably prudential you have been. I agree that you are best to avoid heavy contact sports...football..boxing... I think that you should be fine to play baseball.It is not usually very high risk but some is present I agree... Go for catches that feel that you can make but I would not push it so far as to dive over a fence or wall or so far beyond your reach that you know you are going to hurt yourself!! Don't push a dive as though you are a pro trying to make a highlight reel on the evening news !! I hope that this makes sense and is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello --Your risk of having a concussion would have to do with the relative risk of your behavior.If you were hit in a car accident at age 25 by a drink driver then that would in no way suggest that you would then be at any increaed risk of another concussion!! If you play football or box then that activity would increase risk of concussions...that is well established.... Your statements implying simply having one concussion increases risk of another does not make sense. It sounds that you may be looking at a study of mulptiple concussions vs some parameter of brain injury or seizure risk perhaps...
Hello again---
If you have reference to a specific article then I would be happy to review that and get back with you....