Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

A few days ago we noticed a lump under the skin on my husbands

Customer Question

A few days ago we noticed a lump under the skin on my husbands back (lower right rib area) he says it a little sore to the touch but not really painful. He had a car accident in December and hurt his rib cage. Had X-rays and everything looked fine. Took a week off work to rest and was eventually back to normal. Could the lump be related to that? I don't think its the bone I'm feeling. (a little background info... He has a very physical job as a driver for Budweiser and before that he was a mechanic so he has always had back pain but mainly lower back. The wreak in December was the first time he had any pain in the rib area)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, this lump could be related to the injury. There could be an inflammatory nodule that can arise in response to the injury. It also could be some scar formation that could form along an area of deep injury, such as a deep contusion or strain.
If it is not painful but is slightly sore, it would be fine to simply give it more time to heal. If the soreness is or gets to an uncomfortable level, it would be fine to take an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to apply most heat to the area, either with a moist heating pad or soaking in hot water.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok! We will try that! Thank you for your help!
You are most welcome.