Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My PSA is 7.2, and my urologist wants to do a prostate biopsy.

Customer Question

My PSA is 7.2, and my urologist wants to do a prostate biopsy. Are their other means to detect cancerm, such as a PET scan?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThanks for requesting me.No, nothing is as definitive as a biopsy.The urologist could so a free PSA to give more support to the biopsy.Or, he could combine the PSA with an ultrasound to further define the validity of the PSA. He probably has done one or the other. But, there is no imaging that replaces biopsy. In addition, the biopsy yields a critical score, which aids the decision on how to proceed, cure, etc. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Use reply to expert if any further questions.