Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

I had a colonoscopy a year ago. Ever since, I have to strain

Customer Question

I had a colonoscopy a year ago. Ever since, I have to strain something fierce in order to have a bowel movement. I strain for some time and then at a certain point it comes out real easy. I sense something got messed up in either the prep for the colonoscopy or during the colonoscopy.I had a cat scan and the test result says - it should be noted that the sigmoid colon and rectum are relatively decompressed which does effect evacuation.What does this mean and is there anything that can be done?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 1 year ago.
HIyou can get constipation after the procedure, but this is generally very brief and limited to the anesthesia from the procedure. If you are continuing to suffer from constipation, it is from something else. If the colon and rectum are decompressed, it means that there is no stool, but that being said- it is possible that you have formed a stricture (or narrowing) since then.In order to really check this out, you would need a referral back to your GI doctor and a repeat colonoscopy.I hope that this helpedplease leave positive feedback for my time and expertise :-)
were you able to see this? we are working with a different computer format .