Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I recently (Tuesday) visited the doctor (PA) and

Customer Question

I recently (Tuesday) visited the doctor (PA) for fatigue and some odd symptoms ("pins and needles" in feet). At the time my blood pressure was 150 over 90. I am 58 years old 6'4" and 265 so obviously overweight. The doctor listened to my heart and lungs and ran some blood tests (all of which came back fine). Not diabetic or pre-diabetic and no thyroid issues, the doctor thinks the problem with my feet is most likely related to a back issue. I also asked about a ringing in one ear I've had for awhile which gets worse when I feel stress and he didn't seem too concerned. He wants me to lose weight, exercise, lower salt intake (never use it, but eat out too much), and monitor my blood pressure with a home kit. I'm doing all that (cut way back eating out and exercise 45 minutes a day) and my blood pressure stays around 150 over 80 to 83. I've gotten a couple of off the wall readings (161 over 83 and 110 over 80). I had prostate cancer two years ago, had my prostate removed, but still worry about the PSA checks every six months. And, I'm embarrassed to admit, a born worrier. My question is how long it should take before I see an impact from the new routine and in the short term how worried do I need to be at these blood pressure readings? Finally, since the tab for doctors on this site is next to the tab for veterinarians how I do know you guys don't help each other out when you get backed up?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. DavidI would give your new exercise regimen and eating out less and cutting down on salt 3 months to see if it helps improve your blood pressure.cutting out sodas, alcohol, extra carbohydrates in your diet can help you loose weightyou have to exercise regularly to improve your metabolism to help you loose weight to help improve your blood pressure.you should be keeping a log of your blood pressures for now to show your doctor at your next visit.I am a MD practicing medical doctor.we do not answer vet questions and the vets don't answer medical MD questions.let me know if you have questions.