Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Dr David, I was just playing basketball outside an

Customer Question

Dr David, I was just playing basketball outside for about an hour or so. I began to notice that my abdomen was itching, then I looked and saw a rash. It's also on my wrists and a little on my back. The spots on my wrist are a little more singular and the
rash on my stomach is more diffuse. Does this look like a heat rash or something bad? Also, I have seasonal allergies and have been sneezing and stuffed up. Could those same allergens make my skin itch? I've never really noticed a rash like this before, although
in the winter the same area was somewhat dry and itchy. Any input is appreciated
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidthank you for requesting me.it looks like a heat rash or a sweat rash.yes, seasonal allergies to pollen can cause rash as well if you spend a lot of time outside.you can try hydrocortisone cream or benadryl cream on your skin and shower and cool off and make sure you drink plenty of water and fluids after playing basketball outside.if the rash persists or gets worse, you should see a doctor to evaluate your skinmost likely it will get better on its ownlet me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response dr david. How long should I wait to see if this resolves before seeing a doctor?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I would give it a day or so.it should get better in 12-24 hours.try the benadryl cream and hydrocortisone cream to see if they help.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so this doesn't look like anytning serious? And just for my peace of mind, would a drug reaction cause a rash like this or no?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, it doesn't sound like anything serious.it is rare, but drug reactions can cause reactionswhat drugs are you taking?but if you have been on your medications for a long time and haven't started new medications, then it would be unlikely your medications are causing your rash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't take any medications besides Clindamycin topical for acne. But I have a lot of drug allergies and OCD, one of my obsessive fears is that I will somehow inadvertently ingest a drug that I'm allergic to without knowing it. But, I understand that this is unlikely and just my own fear. Thanks for your help doctor
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
don't let your OCD get out of control.your rash is not from a drug reaction. you are not taking any medications.you might need treatment for your OCDkeep playing basketball and exercising. that is good for youyou don't have to worry.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot dr david, I appreciate it. Excellent rating coming up
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcomethanks for using JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor David,Sorry I forgot to rate the service. I had one more quick question. Early Saturday morning, around 3AM, I found a tick on my left arm. The tick was not difficult to take off and looked as if it had only been on my skin for a short period of time because it was not strongly attached to my skin. I will include a picture of the tick, and to me it looks like a dog tick (but obviously i'd like your input). I am concerned that (a) my rash could have been due to rocky mountain spotted fever as this is commonly transmitted from dog ticks and (b) that the tick could have been infected with powassan virus, although i haven't seen any evidence that says dog ticks transmit powassan. Could you give me your opinion on these possibilities? Thanks...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the tick
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
looks like a dog tick.Rocky mountain spotted fever tends to cause fever. it doesn't sound like you have a fevermost tick bites don't transmit RMSF or lyme diseasepowassan virus is very rare and also causes fever.do you have a thermometer to check for fever?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked my temp, 97.6. Does a tick have to be attached for a certain period of time to transmit RMSF? I read on NY Times 20 hours but I'm not sure this is accurate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Penn Medicine also said 20 hours, Mayo Clinic said between 6-10. Also it said you can get it by crushing the tick with your bare hands, I'm pretty sure I removed it with my bare hands but I think I crushed it in a piece of toilet paper but I can't be 100% sure since it was so late.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
most ticks dont' have lyme disease or RMSFso most tick bites to transmit the infectionit varies from bite to bite the transmission time, but if the tick doesn't have the infection you don't have it transmitted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr. David, I have been concerned because I have had a pretty bad headache since yesterday morning. It was bad enough for me to take off work today, I woke up at about 6:15 and couldn't get back to sleep for awhile because it hurt so bad. It hurts into the back of my head and my neck. I slept for most of the day and it feels slightly better, and I just took tylenol so hopefully that helps too. But I don't have a fever so thats a good sign for RMSF
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
sorry about the headache.probably due to too much sun and basketball before and dehydration.I hope your headaches gets betterit doesn't sound like the headaches are related to your tick biteplease leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todayThanks for using JustAnswers.com