Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Last night I think I pulled a tick off of my stomach. I don't

Customer Question

Last night I think I pulled a tick off of my stomach. I don't know how it get there. There is no redness or soreness only an almost invisible bump where it was I think. It doesn't itch and the tick was flat when I pulled it off. I thought it was a scab that was coming off until I saw it had legs. I don't know how long it was there either. I have a toy poodle and I live in North Carolina. I had just come in from walking him and was putting him to bed last night when I noticed it. He has a lot of hair, but I don't think he has anything on him. I made him a grooming appointment for Tuesday and will be getting him a flea and tick collar anyway though. The tick was really tiny so I don't know what to do now. Please help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloNothing really to do unless you have the tick...then you can put it in alcohol and give it to your doctor.If you saw it , it is probably not a lyme tick, and even most of these do not infect. Simply make sure the area is clean.Use a magnifying glass to see that there is nothing left under the skin.And let your doctor know. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, Any tick being attached for more than 24 hours in North Carolina, can cause lyme disease or even Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. That is why a course of doxycycline 200 mg single dose is recommended. Also you need to make sure all body parts of the tick is out of your wound. So you should go to the urgent care or see your doctor today. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI disagree.First of all, if you have the tick, which you have not stated, then it can be identified.If it is not a lyme tick, you don't need antibiotics. In addition, regardless, your doctor needs to decide this. It is not true that everyone needs an antibiotic.Here is a specific set of folders you can read. http://www.tic-nc.org/ Talk to your doctor, do not start antibiotics without approval.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is DR Basu.Since you are close to lyme disease season, any tick attached to your body for unknown amount time, should be assumed infected unless proven otherwise. Hence, for safety, it is better to use single dose doxycycline 200 mg to prevent lyme disease. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/