Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Can I take plan if I am on regular birth control? I just

Customer Question

Can I take plan b if I am on regular birth control? I just switched birth control methods ( from one pill to another) and I did not start it when I was supposed to. I started it late- instead of using the Sunday method I started it on Monday. Then I am
also taking antibiotics- ofloxacin. Should I just take plan b to decrease preg***** *****ce?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
What kind of birth control pills are you on at the moment and on what date did you start the birth control pill?What date did you have sex?Just want to be clear on this.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on loestrin 1/20 fe.I was on sprintec. I waited to be done with the whole pack of sprintec and start the pack of loestrin on the day when I would have normally start sprintec. I always used to start it on Sunday. But I forgot. I started it on Monday 2 weeks ago. Now I already took 2 weeks worth of pills. I had sex on Friday evening about 36-38 hours ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started the pack on 4/20
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You do not need to take plan B as far as I am concernedYou should be okay.Let me know if you have more questions.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well why
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about antibiotics
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
There is a very low risk of contraceptive failure with the antibiotic that you mentioned. I also checked it in the literature as well to confirm. So there is no need to take plan B.However if you want to be ultrasafe you can take it.Let me know if you have more questions.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Got it. Antibiotic might be fine.
And for not starting the pack on time, do I need to worry? Or only 7 days are needed as a backup for not starting the pack on time? Cause 7 days I was abstinent after starting the package
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
There is no need to worry at all.Seven days is enough backup time.So you should be fine.Please rate me for my services before we proceed.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But if I decide to take it still how is that going to mess me up?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Well, it won't mess you up like you think but you may have some irregularity in your periods, that's all.I would appreciate it if you rate me before we proceed.Kind regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below as that is the only way I am credited for helping you out.Kind regards