Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

Mass size of my hand on lower portion of rib cage left side. Has grown considerably

Customer Question

Hello. Mass size of my hand on lower portion of rib cage left side. Has grown considerably in last two yrs. no pain unless touched. Then for hours after touching mild pain radiating out from it. Soft not squishy. Doesn't move around when touched.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, This is likely a lipoma or a fat tissue cyst. This is a harmless condition. But given its large size can press on the underlying nerves causing pain. You should see a surgeon to get this removed. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I won't worry about getting it looked at until it grows too large.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Very welcome Do not worry
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 2 years ago.
Hi- I am one of the other physicians on this site. I very much disagree with the above answer. The problem with this mass is not the size, but the fact that it is growing quickly. It could be a cyst, a fatty Tumor, but it could also be a cancer. And cancers grow quickly. So, if it was me, I would see a doctor right away and get an ultrasound and/or a biopsy. You don't want it to reach a certain size because it might be too late. I hope this helped. Please leave positive feedback for my time and expertise :-)
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, There is no such risk for cancer with lipoma. That is the most common benign tumor. Please do not get panicked. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
You do not know it is a lipoma until you have seen a physician
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi thee, Dr Basu here, The description you provied is very accurate and suggests lipoma and nothing else. Your doctor will agree with me. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only manage to get to the dr about once every two or three years if I get a cold or something I just can't shake. I have been on the fence since it's grown but I can't move it around it seems like it's almost an extension of my lower left rib cage. I remember first feeling it two years ago and it was a tiny knot the size of a pea. I was startled when I noticed how big it had gotten. I really have no need for a drs visit but I'll make it a point to go and report back. Thanks guys and gal.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Since this is a slow growing growth, this is not a serious thing. Still you should get this checked out by your doctor. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Hi- yes- I really think that seeing a doctor at this point would be a great idea, particularly if you never see one and it would be great to get some peace of mind.Did I provide you with excellent service :-)?