Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Cramp in mucles without any warning or physical effort is a

Customer Question

Cramp in mucles without any warning or physical effort is a reason of what?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello! There may different reasons for this What muscles have been cramping ?? Leg muscles are common... It may often be due to a fatigue factor....If you had been walking or standing more than usual the day prior then that may do it.. If you have certain electrolytes being a bit off then that maybe I it. Low potassium or low magnesium are common culprits for this. So in some cases taking a potassium supplement or potassium rich foods( bananas or orange juice) may be helpful. A magnesium supplement > magnesium oxide 250mg per day may be helpful. If an ongoing problem then you may consult your doctor. A muscle relaxant may help. Evaluation of the problem is more helpful if the issue is more than a transient one or two day issue. I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave pos2 feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD